PARALAX-Board
Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Calendar Members List Team Members Radio To IRC Chat Partner

PARALAX-Board » Radio PARALAX » English Section » [New Release/Remix] C64 Walkabout Podcast #5 - An Introduction to C64 RPGs » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New ThreadPost Reply
Go to the bottom of this page C64 Walkabout Podcast #5 - An Introduction to C64 RPGs
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
RobinsonMason
unregistered
C64 Walkabout Podcast #5 - An Introduction to C64 RPGs Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Posted at Paralax's suggestion -- hope you enjoy it!

C64 Walkabout Podcast #5 - An Introduction to C64 RPGs

This time around I've put together a podcast that describes computer role-playing games on the Commodore 64. It explains some basic concepts of CRPGs and their early days on the C64. Specifically games like Ultima (III), Phantasie, Telengard, Adventure Construction Set and Temple of Apshai. I think these turn-based, stats-laden games can be fun today, especially when kept in an emulator window on your desktop while you do other things. Using "save snapshot" in the VICE emulator is very helpful! There are a few things anyone not familiar with them will need to know before jumping in, so this podcast was designed to make your entry into the worlds of 2D C64 CRPGs as painless as possible~!

I have songs in the podcast from the Ultima series as well as the Temple of Apshai Trilogy. It's interesting to note that the Trilogy was a remake on the C64 with improved graphics with the two expansions included, as well as a neat couple of SID tracks. The original Temple of Apshai and expansions only had creepy ambient sounds.

The short clip intro to the podcast is from Soliton off of the album "Light Bullets", and the very long track can be purchased at Amazon.com.

Wondering what that background music in the podcast is? It's some pretty obscure stuff. As a former Fujitsu FM-Towns owner, I owned the Ultima Trilogy, and those songs are CD Digital Audio tracks from the Trilogy CD. Made by Origin back in the early 1990's just for Fujitsu's advanced home computer, I don't think the songs were ever ported or used again. You can read more - if you recall I blogged about the Ultimas on the FM-Towns HERE.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by RobinsonMason: 20.4.2009 19:53.

20.4.2009 19:53
PARALAX PARALAX is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-730.gif

Registration Date: 5.3.2005
Credits: 68.385 Credits
Herkunft: Köln

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks for posting! I will download it for listening before sleep with my MP3 player.Lächeln

Loriot (* 12.11.1923 - † 22.8.2011)
20.4.2009 20:43 PARALAX is offline Homepage of PARALAX Search for Posts by PARALAX Add PARALAX to your Buddy List Add PARALAX to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for PARALAX Skype Screenname of PARALAX: paralax1974
RobinsonMason
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool - hope you enjoy. I'm finally getting the hang of using Audacity. I hope my talking doesn't put you to sleep TOO fast. Lachen
20.4.2009 22:32
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New ThreadPost Reply
PARALAX-Board » Radio PARALAX » English Section » [New Release/Remix] C64 Walkabout Podcast #5 - An Introduction to C64 RPGs

Privacy policy

Forum Software: Burning Board, Developed by WoltLab GmbH
Design © 2005 by PARALAX & Z-Man